Aberdeen School District Educator Nominated for National LifeChanger of the Year Award
October 23rd, 2018 – Aberdeen, MS – Aberdeen Elementary School counselor Katrina Carlisle has been nominated for the 2018-2019 national LifeChanger of the Year award.
Carlisle was nominated by a colleague, Erin Walker, for offering caring and nurturing support to students. She also runs her school's Dawg Pound, the PBIS Incentive Store. Carlisle chooses incentives that the children will like and enjoy "purchasing" with their Dawg Bucks. Her efforts to provide good prizes help students stay engaged and pursue the right behaviors.
"I had a student having a near meltdown, and she just happened to be coming around the corner. She prevented a meltdown from escalating because she knew the exact words to help this child gain composure and have a great day," Walker said. "Katrina is an exemplary role model for our students. She keeps a smile on her face and is always ready for whatever's thrown at her.”
About LifeChanger of the Year
Sponsored by the National Life Group Foundation, LifeChanger of the Year recognizes and rewards the very best K-12 educators and school district employees across the United States who are making a difference in the lives of students by exemplifying excellence, positive influence and leadership.
Each school year, LifeChanger of the Year receives hundreds of nominations from all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Seventeen individual LifeChanger of the Year awards will be given during the 2018-2019 school year.
· (1) Grand Prize Winner – will receive $10,000 to be shared with their school/district.
· (4) Grand Prize Finalists – will receive $5,000 to be shared with their school/district.
· (10) LifeChanger Award Winners – will receive $3,000 to be shared with their school/district.
· (1) Spirit Award Winner – This award is given to the nominee whose community demonstrates the most support for their nomination. The winner will receive $5,000 to be shared with their school/district.
· (1) Spotlight Award Winner – This award is given to a nominee in a specific discipline each year. For 2018-19, the Spotlight Award will be given to a nominee who works in a counseling role (e.g, guidance counselor, social worker). The winner will receive $5,000 to be shared with their school or district.
Winners are announced via surprise award ceremonies held at their schools. The grand prize finalists will also be honored at a national awards ceremony in April 2019 in Hawaii, where the Grand Prize Winner will be revealed.
Winners are chosen by a selection committee comprised of former winners and education professionals. Nominees must be K-12 teachers or school district employees. To be considered for an award, nominees must
· Make a positive impact in the lives of students
· Enhance their school or district’s atmosphere, culture and pride
· Demonstrate exemplary leadership at the school and/or district level
· Possess a proven record of professional excellence
· Show commitment to building a nurturing environment that supports learning
· Adhere to the highest moral and ethical standards
A resource page with ideas for how to celebrate nominees can be found at http://lifechangeroftheyear.com/showspirit/.
To view Ms. Carlisle’s LifeChanger of the Year nominee profile, or to nominate someone from your school community, visit.